Old Geezers Out to Lunch

Old Geezers Out to Lunch
The Geezers Emeritus through history: The Mathematician™, Dr. Golf™, The Professor™, and Mercurious™

Friday, December 18, 2015

Starbucks & Tupperware

We're happy to welcome back Sehr Wenig to these pages. We're hoping she will return often with insights learned as she regains her health. 

I'm heading home for a lengthy holiday visit with my grown children, my granddaughter and my parents. It will be the last trip home before a major eight-hour surgery in January to combat the Big C. After waiting through a long, long Starbucks line at LAX early this morning, I quietly picked up the tab for the young woman behind me in line. As soon as she understood what was happening, the young woman began demurring. “Oh, no. I’m fine. I can pay for my own.”

When she finally understood that I wanted nothing other than to say Merry Christmas, she accepted her Grande Earl Grey tea but remained visibly uncomfortable. A moment later, she brightened just as visibly and said, “I was going over there to get water. Can I bring you one?”

****************************

The workplace team I lead held our annual holiday gathering/white elephant gift exchange a few days ago. At the end, as everyone was beginning to tidy up, someone said, "Oh, wait. There's one more gift," and handed me a lovely gift box. Which turned out to be an empty foil pan.

Other people began pulling wrapped gifts from under their chairs and handing them to me. More people streamed into the room, each carrying a gift. Each gift box or bag held an empty food container, many decorated with words like, "Made with cancer-fighting nutrients...and Love," or "Chemo-fighting fuel."

By the second gift, I realized what they were doing and sobbed through unwrapping the rest—which took nearly 20 minutes.

My team, other people from our company, and a slew of former employees have organized themselves to provide meals for the entire time of my convalescence. They have investigated my Pinterest food boards, talked to my daughter, and discussed what foods I enjoy when we go out or order in. They made a group Google doc and calendar.

I could not stop crying. It was one of the sweetest, most humbling things I've ever experienced. The kindness and thoughtfulness and genuine effort overwhelmed me. My first coherent thoughts afterward were about how I could repay their kindness.

******************************

“I was going over there to get water. Can I bring you one?”

The young woman will never know it, but she gave me something far more valuable than a bottle of water. She revealed that my practice for the coming months will need to be a little different than hers—that I'll need to accept kindness without need to "make things even."


The time for paying it forward will come. For now, my task is to accept with gratitude.

It’s not an easy task, but the important ones never are.

14 comments:

  1. You're new to me, Sehr, but your situation isn't. Accept the good food, kind wishes, and helpful medications. They all make a difference. I look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accepting kindness with grace is difficult. Good for you, and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do well and accept the help of others. Four generations in one place is quite special. Enjoy that for all it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent story illustrating the good that is really our country's citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appears to me you're well worth it, and it's rewarding for those on the other side of the giving scale.
    Best to you, let us know how you're doing. I talked to Chris down there at UCLA, he said if you want some info or anything, let him know.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mike. I'd love to talk to your friend after the New Year, when I get back to LA and start gearing up in earnest for the Big Event.

      Delete
    2. Ok, let's figure out how to talk, I can give your chris's phone number, and tell him you'll be calling. We can figure out a date, etc.

      Delete
  6. That beautiful story of the work place gift exchange is a strong beam of light in this Advent. What a wonderful and moving story! You have given us a gift that shines with grace. Wishing you peace and healing in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind wishes. May beams of light shine just as brightly in your corner of the world.

      Delete
  7. Have a good holiday and all the best on your impending battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. All the best to you as well.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful story. I'll say a prayer for you and yours. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete
  9. That party gift idea was very thoughtful as was your picking up the tab for a fellow customer. Thanks for reminding us how beautiful generosity can be.

    ReplyDelete